No Trip matches your search criteira
In northern Morocco lies the city of Meknes, which impresses with a very high population of 950,279. The city is an important starting point for trade, craft and landscape, here is a hustle and bustle. Also greengrocers are here daily on the covered markets and attract thus many tourists. Not only economically and industrially a lot is offered here, also culturally and historically much is offered here. Famous buildings such as the palaces are attractions for tourists and always welcome.
It lies about 70 miles (110 km) from the Atlantic Ocean and 36 miles (58 km) southwest of Fes. One of Morocco’s four imperial cities, it was founded in the 10th century by the Zanātah tribe of the Meknassa Imazighen (Berbers) as Meknassa al-Zaytūn (“Meknès of the Olives”), a group of villages among olive groves; it grew around Takarart, an 11th-century Almoravid citadel. Meknès became the Moroccan capital in 1673 under Mawlay Isma´il who built palaces and mosques that earned for Meknès the name “Versailles of Morocco.” His city wall, fortified by four-cornered towers and pierced by nine ornamented gates, still stands. After his death the city declined. In 1911 it was occupied by the French, who built a new quarter, separated from the old by the Bou Fekrane River. Meknès has massive buildings of a heavy splendour, the Roua (stables said to have housed 12,000 horses), and celebrated gardens irrigated by water from a 10-acre (4-hectare) artificial lake.
Meknès is a commercial centre for the surrounding fertile agricultural plateau region and is also a market for fine embroidery and carpets, woven chiefly by Amazigh women of the Middle Atlas (Moyen Atlas) mountains. The city is linked by road to Rabat and by rail with Rabat, Fès, Tangier (Tanger), and Casablanca. The ruins of the Roman Volubilis and the holy city of Idrīs, who founded the Idrisid dynasty are nearby.
Grapes, cereals (primarily wheat), citrus fruits, olives, sheep, goats, and cattle are raised in the surrounding region. Fluorite is mined near Meknès.